* Plan your outfits in advance: Plan ahead to allow yourself more time to gather your chosen outfits. Also, you'll be less stressed if you plan ahead.
* Choose Coordinating colors or a color scheme: Knowing exactly which colors to wear for family photos can be tricky. Start off by choosing colors that coordinate well. By selecting a color scheme and using hues that compliment each other, you can achieve a more naturally cohesive look. Pick two main colors and then add some softer tones to act as accents.
* Consider your home's decor: You'll want to take into account your home decor style when picking out outfits. Since a few of the photos will more than likely be hanging in your home and on display for awhile, make sure the clothing you choose blends in with the color scheme of your home.
* Keep location in Mind: Another helpful item to keep in mind when trying to decide what to wear in your family photos is the location of your shoot. Will you be under a tree surrounded by bright fall foliage or will you be on a beach with lots of neutral tones? Select a color palette for your outfits that will compliment the setting and not end up competing with it.
* Use the season to help select the color scheme for your outfit: Each season is associated with different colors, weather and landscapes. These will be important items to consider when picking out what you should wear.
* Choose practical clothing items: Make sure that the clothing that you pick is comfortable. If you or your kids are not comfortable then you're going to be in for a long photoshoot. Don't make it more difficult on yourself or your photographer to get the perfect shot. Making sure everyone is comfortable will ensure smiles all around.
* Limit distracting patterns and large logos: Picking articles of clothing with multiple patterns and large logos can become a distraction in your photos. Avoid items that clash and stick to one pattern or texture for your portrait session.
* Lay out each family member's outfit together when planning: This allows you to get a good idea about how the pieces will look next to each other. Plus, you can make sure the you're not missing any essential clothing items.
* Arrive to your photo shoot location on time, take direction from the photographer, have fun and relax while letting your family's personality shine through.